The English courses on Master of Science (MSc)/Philosophy of Doctor (PhD) Global Health is opened at National Taiwan University’s College of Public Health, the first college in Asia accredited as a school of public health by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH) of USA.
MSc Global Health is a two-year course that is intended to cultivate international students all over the world into professional elite in health care science and industry by first providing basic knowledge, method, and practice on epidemiology and biostatistics, health care policy and management, social science, and environmental health, and then imparting students how to apply these professional knowledge and skills to solve the issues and perspectives pertaining to Global Health including the spread of pandemic infectious disease, disease burden on non-communicable disease (NCDs), genetic public heath, health inequality, aging and maternity, nutrition, environmental pollution, equity and efficiency of health care policy and system, and health behavior.
Philosophy of Doctor Global Health is a four-year course that aims to develop world-class leadership in academics of Global Health by endowing students either from the continuation of the same track of MSc or other tracks of international students already accredited as MSc related to Global Health with academic knowledge and skills through advanced courses in research method, ethics, environmental science, social science, and health care policy and management. Research highlight in the cultivation of academic elite in the track of PhD is focused on community-based environmental health surveillance and assessment, community-based cancer screening and chronic disease prevention, nationwide health care system
Features of Courses
Both MSc and PhD Global Health courses are highly featured by inviting honorary and highly reputable International Professors from renowned University with a similar course (such as Global Health Science at Oxford University in UK and at John Hopkin University in the USA and the elites in well-reputed research institute such as (Karolinska institute in Sweden) and health care organization (such as Empirical Research Fund in UK) and industry to open intensive courses in summer and winter. Inviting these professors and elites is to provide world-class taught course for international students, particularly but not exclusively from south-eastern Asian countries dispensing with enormous time and cost going to Europe and USA to attend the similar course.
The main track of western-like course is co-taught by our faculties of college of public health of national Taiwan university who are involved in the supervision of students during the course in order to characterize the course taking into account Asian style and
culture through the collaboration of student practice in their own countries or in other disadvantaged countries.
The track of PhD in terms of academic research highlight is to make use of Taiwanese unique research achievements in environmental air and water pollution control and food safety, infectious disease control (such as SARS experience in 2003), community-based prevention model such as community-based integrated screening model, national health insurance system in Taiwan to have collaboration with research elites who are invited to the summer or winter taught courses through research collaboration or the creation of collaborative research center, or the development of patent products such as computer-aided risk assessment model. The PhD course will facilitate the development of world-class leadership and professional in Global Health so as to develop international health care science and its related enterprise
Another main feature of our MSc and PhD course is that students can learn from some taught courses via online degree program, online courses, online certificates, and other forms of online training to complete their credits of required courses. Besides, as part of our mission as a premier public health Institution in Asian country is to share knowledge and skills freely and openly. The course is to offer free online courses such as OpenCourseWare program for different topics, Coursera for a series of related basic courses such as biostatistics, and iTunes U for the history of public health and also other animated topics.
Before the introduction of this course, the college have had around 22 international students consisting of six registered as Master of Public Health (MPH) and sixteen registered as PhD students scattered in four institutes (epidemiology and biostatistics, health care policy and management, community and behavior social science, and occupational/environmental health). There is high demand for international students who are interested in studying global health over the past three years due to emerging issues related to sustainable development goal (SDG).
The Master of science and PHD in Global Health is scheduled to recruit 30 international Master students and 10 PhD students. Master students would take around 2-3 years and PhD students would take 4-6 years to complete their degree.
The overall number of faculty in our college is around 50. Given the duration of Master and PhD students, the ratio of international students after the introduction of new courses to faculties is around 1:3. However, the ratio would be less than this figure as both courses are to invite professors or the elite from renowned University and institute or organization for taught courses and collaborative research.
1. MSc in Global Health
(1) Basic Courses
The required course for MSc Global Health consist of five basic courses listed as follows.
- Introduction to Global Health Science (4)
- Global Environmental Health Science (2)
- Social and Behavioral Foundations of Health Care (2)
- Evidence Based Global Health Policies Programs and Research (2)
- Quantitative and Qualitative Research methodology (3)
(2) Selective Courses
There are around 15 selective courses opened by four disciplines of public health. The students at least select four different courses depending on the area in which they are interested.
- Confronting the Burden of Disease: A Global Perspective
- Applying Summary Measures of Population Health to Improve Health Systems
- Poverty in the world: Hunger, inequalities and action
- Advanced Research Topics in Community Health Science
- Global Women's Health and Empowerment
- Quality Assurance Management Methods for Developing Countries
- Large-Scale Effectiveness Evaluations of Health Programs
- Health policy, management and economics
- Vaccine Development and Application
- Clinical and Epidemiological Aspects of Tropical Diseases
- Infectious diseases - a challenge to global health: clinical, social and preventive aspects
- International Nutrition
- Statistics and health informatics
- Epidemiology in Non-communicable Disease
- Climate and Development: Impacts, Mitigation and Adaptation
- Genetic Epidemiology
- Anthropological Perspectives on Global Health
- Mental health and services: Global issues
- Clinical Trials and Meta-Analysis
- Global Tobacco Control
- Risk Assessment in Occupational and Environmental Health
- Environment, Technology and Health
- Communication in Health Promotion and Education
- International Social and Occupational Epidemiology
- Maternal and Child Health
- Non-communicable diseases, injuries, natural emergencies and conflicts in a global health perspective
- Quality of Life Research
- Migration and health
- Complete an international fieldwork experience (at least 10 weeks in a country) and a 5-page analytical paper on this experience
- Complete a departmental project on a global health topic with one of the following choices.
(a) a class paper on global health topic, a project used as student’s master thesis/doctoral thesis, or a poster presented in a conference.
(b) Complete 5-page capstone paper with the contents including: (i) describing how the MSc Global Health program integrates with the student’s graduate studies, (ii) how it amplifies their understanding of one or more of the global health competencies, and (iii) how these competencies are likely to influence their professional career.
- . Attend at least two global health seminars at NTU. The seminars include lunchtime lectures or other lectures sponsored by CPH of NTU.
2. PhD in Global Health
In addition to the courses opened for MSc Global Health, the following general courses are added to PhD in Global Health
- Doctoral Seminar in International Health
- Special Studies & Research Disease Control
- Doctoral Global Disease Epidemiology and Control Seminar
- Public Health Perspectives on Research
- Academic and Research Ethics
- Responsible Conduct of Research
- Research Ethics & Integrity
There are also additional selective courses opened for PhD students during the course with research highlight on community-based environmental health surveillance and assessment, community-based cancer screening and chronic disease prevention, and nationwide health care system like national health insurance in Taiwan. Such selective courses will be opened upon request, depending on the areas of collaborative researches between our faculties or invited faculties and international students.
Career of Graduate Students
After graduation, MSc students can be back to their country to take professional role in Public Health to plan, design, and implement health policy and care related to Global Health and PhD students can become the leadership in academics of public health and decision-making of health authority to direct the development of sustainable development goal of health in academic field and to advocate policy-making in health care policy. The other possibility for their career planning is to take high position of professional in health care industry like international pharmaceutical company, imaging technique enterprise, biotechnology enterprise, and so on to aid them making a good plan and creating health enterprise across the globe such as high-end means for the prevention of disease targeted at high-riak individuals with professional perspective of global health.